Toulon win 38-28 against Montpellier and grab a bonus point at the Stade Mayol!

Toulon won 38-28 against Montpellier on Saturday, December 8th, on day 3 of the Champions Cup, and grabbed a bonus point. Montpellier still picked up a bonus point for a narrow defeat, as they notably scored two tries at the end of the game.
Toulon were desperate for points in order to avoid elimination from the European Cup and they got off to a flying start, as they controlled the ball and scored two penalties through Anthony Belleau. Our men in red and black then scored a penalty try ten minutes before half-time, after Timoci Nagusa was penalised for a high tackle that prevented Toulon captain Raphaël Lakafia from scoring a try. Toulon were then leading 13-0.
Despite the injury picked up by Montpellier fly-half John Goosen at the end of the first half, the visiting team did not give up and Henry Immelmann scored a try at the 38th minute. At half-time, the score was thus 13-7.
Toulon started the second half with the will to put the hammer down and, after the home team had kept the ball for several minutes, captain Raphaël Lakafia scored a try at the 47th minute: Toulon’s domination paid off and they now held a comfortable lead, 23-7.
At the 54th minute, after a substitution, François Steyn pierced through the Toulon backline and scored Montpellier’s second try, which meant the visiting team was only trailing by nine points.
The Toulon players tried to play a beautiful game in the second half and they were rewarded with two tries at the 72nd and 76th minutes, respectively scored by Jean Monribot and Filipo Nakosi, stretching the lead to twenty-four points (38-14). However, Timoci Nagusa scored two tries for Montpellier in the dying moments of the game, which meant the visiting team also picked up a bonus point for a narrow defeat.
Toulon climb up to third spot in their Champions Cup group, two points away from Newcastle. Next Sunday, December 16th, they will play the return game against Montpellier.